Saturday, May 19, 2012

My Favorite Verses

I'll cite them in NIV for accessibility purposes but you should keep in mind that all modern translations are tainted by politically correct dialog. The King James Version is far superior to getting at the real meaning of the verses. I may keep adding to this list....

1. Luke 12: 22-31
Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest? Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith! And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.

2. Ecclesiastes 1:9 (and pretty much all of Ecclesiastes)
What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

3. 2 Thessalonians 3:10
For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

4. Romans 13:1 (KJV)
Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

5. Matthew 10:16
“I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves.

6. Matthew 18:21-22
Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?" Jesus answered, "I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

7. 1 Peter 3:17
It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.

8. 1 Chronicles 17:2
Nathan replied to David, "Whatever you have in mind, do it, for God is with you."

9. Psalm 19:1 (KJV)
The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

10. Psalm 18:47-49 (Strikethru is a correction to the KJV...one of those politically correct bits)
He is the God who avenges me, who subdues nations under me, who saves me from my enemies. You exalted me above my foes; from a violent man you rescued me. Therefore I will praise you, Lord, among the nations [heathen]; I will sing the praises of your name.

11. Isaiah 40:31
but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

12. Psalm 24:4-5 (KJV)
He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully. 
He shall receive the blessing from the Lord, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are making a contention, please follow this format for thoroughness and clarity. If you fail to, I will pick on you.

1. Here's what you said:_____________.
2. Here's why it's wrong: ___________.
3. Here's evidence as to why it's wrong: _____________.
4. Here's why this evidence should be considered: _________.